Spring Car Maintenance Tips
Winter is one of the harshest times of year on your car. Between the snow, ice, and road salt, your car is begging for some extra attention once the temperatures start to rise. As spring rolls around and you begin to spring clean your home, remember to show a little extra appreciation to your car for keeping you safe and warm all winter.
Here at Carriage Mitsubishi, we recommend 5 easy spring car maintenance tips to keep your car in its best shape and to prolong the life of your vehicle for many more winters. Here are our top 5 spring maintenance tips for your vehicle:
- Wash your car to remove all leftover salt. Pay special attention to the underside of your vehicle, where many people for get to rinse. Salt can cause the metal to rust causing serious damage.
- Check your wheel alignment and your vehicles suspension. Potholes can wreak havoc on your alignment and suspension causing your vehicle’s steering wheel to vibrate and/or your car to pull your vehicle to one side of the road. Making sure everything is properly aligned will keep you on the road going safely in the right direction.
- If you haven’t had an oil change since before winter began, now is probably a good time to do so. Check your owner’s manual to see how often oil changes are recommended. When you have the oil change, ask your service technician to check the other fluids in your vehicle, as well. Those also might need to be topped off or replaced.
- When you get your oil changed, it is recommended to have your tires rotated. Rotating your tires will make sure the tread is wearing evenly so you don’t end up with bald slippery spots. Tread is especially important in the spring due to the increase in precipitation so that your tires stick to the road. Also, during the winter months, the cold temperatures cause the air in your tires to compresses and the tire pressure to decrease. Be sure to check your tire pressure to make sure that your tires are properly inflated.
- It is usually recommended to check your brakes after the winter. Brakes are used more often during the winter months due to the slippery conditions, so making sure that your brake pads are working effectively is smart to prevent accidents when the rainy season begins.
Making sure you perform these basic spring maintenance procedures on your vehicle each spring will prolong the maximum life of your vehicle and ensure that it is running at its best. If you need to schedule any of these service appointments, or if you have any questions, please give Carriage Mitsubishi’s Service Department a call. Our knowledgeable service team will be happy to assist!